Filled with nuts, seeds and dried fruit, these energy-packed bars make a great snack.
12 bars / Prep 15 min / Cook 25 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped and pitted dates
- 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) nut butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL) large flake oats
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) wheat germ
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries
- In a small saucepan, combine dates and orange juice. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until very soft. Add soy butter, vanilla and cinnamon and stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, flaxseed and cranberries. Pour over date mixture and stir to combine. Spread into a parchment paper lined 8 inch (1.5 L) baking pan and press down evenly.
- Bake in a 350 F (180 C) oven for about 25 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Let cool before cutting into bars.
Tip: Wrap bars individually for ease to pop into lunches. For a chewier bar, simply store in the refrigerator. These bars will last up to 1 week at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Find more healthy recipes on Heart and Stroke.