This creamy and protein-rich dips pairs wonderfully with the oats and seeds in these tasty crackers. This combo makes a terrific healthy snack!
Black Bean and Cilantro Dip
4 servings / Prep 10 min
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili powder
- One 15-ounce (425g) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tightly packed cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Combine the garlic, cumin, chili powder, beans, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a small food processor. Add 1/4 cup warm water and puree until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
- Place mixture in a small serving bowl, and garnish with a few cilantro leaves.
Oats and seeds crackers
10 servings / Prep 20 min / Cook 1 hour
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) flax seeds
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sesame seeds
- 1 cup (240 ml) spelt flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) poppy seeds
- 1 cup (240 ml) quick-cooking oats
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried minced onion
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried minced garlic
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 325ºF (160ºC). Take out 2 large baking sheets.
- Toast sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds in a large frying pan over medium-high, stirring often, until sesame seeds are light golden, 7 to 8 min. Cool slightly in a large bowl.
- Stir in flour, oats, onion, garlic and salt to toasted seeds. Gradually pour in water and olive oil while stirring. Place half of dough mixture between 2 large pieces of parchment paper. Roll out thinly to size of baking sheets. Remove top parchment and lift dough on parchment onto a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, rotating and switching sheets halfway through, until browned and crisp, 50 to 55 min.